Plex released today with a major UI update to its Apple TV and Roku apps. Along with a new “Modern Layout” option, the UI can be customized with options for app/home background and details background.
Plex announced the new UI experience in a blog post today. Here’s what inspired the platform to work on a redesign:
Well, our challenge is that since Plex is used by so many different types of users (big deal to have!), each of you has different habits, wants, and styles as well as a wide variety of TVs with different resolutions and brightness and contrast ratios. So how do you make sure that you provide the best possible experience to as many of you as possible? And build a dynamically responsive system that draws visual style from millions of different works of art? Turns out the solution wasn’t something we could figure out on our own. So we got a little help from our friends.
After running an experimental beta with Plex users, the company “opted for a more personalized experience (a crucial part of Plex’s DNA) and worked hard to provide the right mix of options for our diverse community. of Plex users and devices”.
In the Plex Apple TV and Roku app, you can now go to Settings > Experience to customize the user interface. Here are the new options:
- Content layout:
This setting controls the layout used to display your content. Ok, so before you say “No, duh!”, this setting also controls whether “online metadata” is displayed on the home screen and the poster is displayed on the detail pages.
- Modern (default): Displays “inline” artwork and details about the title on some screens when the focus is on a poster. This layout also prefers background artwork to posters on title detail pages.
- Classic: No “inline” metadata is displayed, displays title and additional information below posters, and prefers posters over illustrations on detail pages.
- App/Home Background:
This setting allows the user to select the base background of the application (ie: the background used for the home screen, settings, etc.).
- Illustration Colors (default): Applies the colors of the current title’s artwork to the background and gracefully (we hope!) changes the color field as the title selection changes.
- Nothing: Displays the app’s default background (dark gradient).
- Background details:
This setting controls the background displayed on item detail pages.
- Illustration Colors (default): Uses the colors of the title artwork in the background of title detail pages.
- Faded art: Displays a full-screen, dimmed version of the background artwork on detail pages.
- Nothing: The application’s default background is used for detail pages (dark gradient).
Plex for Apple TV is a free download on app store.
FTC: We use revenue-generating automatic affiliate links. Following.